Jerry and I decided to build a fence. Wow, what a project. In my mind I thought that it would be so easy- dig a few holes, get some concrete and pour a little in, put a few poles up and then hammer in some nails and wa-la... you have a fence. (You are allowed to laugh out loud now, I don't blame you.) Here is our little story.
We have a friend that has a tractor that has an auger to dig holes on it. I was impressed that there was such a thing. Saturday he came over and started measuring and calculating and asking us all sorts of questions and I had that mentality still of "this is easy, just start digging." We finally got the corners marked out and he dug the first hole. Holy Cow! I could not believe how many stinkin rocks there were. I was silently hoping that this was not a forecast for the rest of the holes. To my dismay, it was a forecast. Almost all of the holes had more rocks than a 7 mile gravel road. On the nifty auger thing, there were 2 main bolts that held all of the important things together. We broke probably 10-15 of those bolts. Jerry would be holding down the drill to put more weight on it and the drill would hit a big rock and then POP, and a bolt would snap and fly. There was a hole of rocks that broke 3 bolts within a 10 minute period. 

These are the 2 holes that gave is the most trouble. I hope you can see it but that is a pile of rocks with very, very little dirt.I was the "go-fer", which I didn't mind because it made me feel like I was actually helping, so the people at Cal-Ranch and Lowes got to know me well. We made a lot of progress considering the size of our backyard and the time it took to dig all of the holes of rocks. I can't wait to get it done so that we finally have some privacy. Here are some pictures to show what we have done so far. 







4 comments:
You are very, very brave! I felt like a pioneer woman for the first 2-3 years that we had our house, it is such hard work to have a yard and house! I hope to see you next week!
I wonder what is worse: having your house built on an ancient Indian burial ground or lots of lots of rocks. The fence looks great! Where is your house at?
It really looks good! You guys have done so much work on it. Good Job!
though i am upset i will have to start using the front door when i walk over from brian nad daynas house... oh well. i will get over it
Post a Comment