Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Fair trade?

Over the Labor day weekend we helped Jerry's family move their daycare location from out in the country to in town in Shelley. It was a long day and on one of the runs back and forth, I drove my sister-in-laws car from the new place to their house. It is less than 1/2 a mile away and I really didn't think much about my driving skills. As some of you may know, the police force in Shelley is on the ball. Almost every time we drive through there we see someone pulled over. I came to a stop at a stop sign and out of habit, I pulled into to the left lane and not into he right lane first. As soon as I pulled into the left lane I saw a state trooper. I had a feeling that we were going to get pulled over, so I continued as I usually would have and sure enough he flipped around and as I put my blinker on to turn left in the direction of the house, his lights came to life. I pulled over after the railroad tracks and got my license out. I asked my mother-in-law if there was a current registration and insurance. The officer came up to the car and told me that I made an illegal right turn and that he needed my license, registration and insurance. I explained that it was my sister-in-laws car and we were just driving it home about two blocks down. We started going through the papers that were in the glove box and couldn't find the recent insurance card (the old one expired in mid-July). He was kind enough to let me off, but not without a warning to carry current insurance, even though it wasn't my car, and to not pull into the left lane first. Later we saw several people pulled over along main street and we figure that they are patrolling more thoroughly because of the fair and all of the people driving back and forth. So I guess the moral of the story is to obey the law, especially in small towns, and to always carry current insurance cards.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

HAHAH. Sucky! I did not know that happened until Mom told me about it today. So i totally do that ALL the time. I need to be really careful now (at least in Shelley- where i never go, so i have nothing to worry about, so maybe i will not change anyting). But i totally have a story for that- i did that on john addams comming from Woodruff this weekend, and a police officer pulled up next to me. I freaked because i know perfectly well that thats illegal, i just never do anything about it. but he sped on by (as in 35 on john adams- how do they do that?)

Hillman Family said...

I feel your pain. I got pulled over at 2 am on my way home from work last week. The trooper said I was speeding, but I am pretty sure he just pulled me over because it was 2 am and no one else was on hitt road! We are lucky to get warnings. Brian has been pulled over twice and has two tickets to show for it! I have never gotten a ticket!